Well, as we have discussed, the red notes are apparently played from
   the same score on a second lute, and elsewhere in Eysert, there are
   apparently both parts of some duets, some reversed to play off the same
   MS (haven't run across them yet). That suggests that there may not be a
   second part book, which doesn't mean a second part isn't lurking in
   some other random MS.
   I we ignore the #º notations entirely, Part 2 sounds quite all right to
   my ears as is, so the notations might mean something entirely
   different...
   Andre Nieuwlaat is going to hunt around and see if he can find a second
   part. Perhaps it would have similar notations to indicate missing bars,
   meant to be played from the version in Eysert.
   Have you seen notations like this anywhere else in the lute
   literature?  I haven't.  The numbers above the staff I have seen have
   been numbers for variations ( as in [1]V Galilei's infamous Romanesca
   variations, where they go up to 100) or above the repeat  double bar at
   the end of a repeated section to say how many times it is repeated
   (usually 2, but I have seen 3).
   --Sarge