Quoting Trent W. Buck (t...@cybersource.com.au):
> Unfortunately, lxc 0.7's utmp detect requires /var/run to NOT be a
> tmpfs.  The shipped lxc-ubuntu script works around this by deleting the
> ifstate file and not mounting a tmpfs on /var/run, but to me that is
> simply waiting for something else to assume /var/run is empty.  It also
> doesn't cope with a mountall upgrade rewriting /lib/init/fstab.

Note that how to handle clean shutdown is one of the open topics.
So if you're interested in helping to properly fix that, please
feel free to join our development call this coming thursday morning,
as per announcement last week :)

IIRC Daniel L. had a kernel patch to help fix this workaround?  He
was experimenting with it at UDS-N.

thanks,
-serge