On 07/16/2012 09:24 PM, Joe Stringer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've come across an issue when trying to use SCTP with lxc, and I
> wonder if anyone might have some insight into what's causing this.
>
> My set up has two lxc hosts connected to an instance of Open vSwitch,
> vm0 and vm1. When I attempt to use the sctp_test utility that comes
> with the debian package lksctp-tools from within either VM, it reports
> back that the address family is not supported:-
>

> root@vm0:~# sctp_test -H 0 -P 250 -l
> local:addr=0.0.0.0, port=250, family=2
> seed = 1342081047
>
> Starting tests...
>         socket(SOCK_SEQPACKET, IPPROTO_SCTP)
>
>                *** socket: failed to create socket:  Address family
> not supported by protocol ***
>

> The interfaces appear to be set up fine, I can ping from one vm to the
> other with no trouble. The host can successfully run the above command
> as well.
>
> Is this because of socket using SOCK_SEQPACKET?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe

It's not easy to tell whether it's the case here, but some protocols
require extra kernel modules to work properly.
On a regular system these modules are loaded dynamically the first time
you try to create a socket of that type, but in a container, it
typically won't work.

If that's the case, check on a regular system what the modules are and
load them on your host, then try again from the container.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer