Quoting Jäkel, Guido (g.jae...@dnb.de):
> Hi Serge,
>
> >> to assist to avoid such problems i would propose to introduce macro
> >> expansion (of the own tags but also by incorporating the
> >environment variables) into the configuration argument parser and to provide
> >some useful basics like the container name.  Then one may
> >use e.g.
> >>
> >>    lxc.hook.mount = $MYCONTAINER_HOME/hooks/$lxc.name
> >
> >That sounds good.  Would you be able to post a patch to do this?

Ok, so along the lines of this, I propose (and will send a patch soon
if there are no objections) the following behavior for lxc-clone:

        1. hook files only get copied if they are in $lxpath/$lxc_name
        2. hook files do not get 'updated'.  They should be using the
           container name and lxcpath from environment/arguments
        3. configuration file will expand $p to lxcpath and $n to
           lxcname (with \$ for escaping $ though I can't see anyone
           doing that).
        4. $lxcpath/$lxcname/fstab and lxc.mount.entries should not
           need to be updated.  The destination should be relative to
           the mounted container root.  I don't know of any cases where
           the source is relative to the container itself.  If there are
           such cases, then we can add $p and $n expansion to ONLY the
           mount source.
        5. lxc_clone will update the container name in lxc.utsname only.

-serge