2013/10/24 Александр Соколов <sokolof...@gmail.com>:
> I want to discuss policy of naming and keeping versions our libraries for
> Qt4 and Qt5.
>
> In most cases user have only one version of the Qt library, Qt4 or Qt5. But
> some cases user can have both Qt4 and Qt5. And he may wants to have 2
> version of our libs, for Qt4 and for Qt5.
>
> For programmer which use our library, library is a 3 parts: headers files,
> cmake files and .so librariy. I'm using qtxdg as example, but it's same for
> all other our libs.
>
> 1. The headers.
> With headers all is easy. Our API don't depending of Qt version so we have
> only one instance of headers files.

OK

> 2. The .so file
> But ABI depending of Qt version. So we should to have 2 version of .so
> files.

I Agree.

> 2.1  Should we allways add prefix or postfix for libraries, some like
> libqtxdg_qt4.so and libqtxdg_qt5.so or something.

I would do what poppler does and have libqtxdg-qt4.so and
libqtxdg-qt5.so installed under /usr/lib.

[cut]

> 3. The cmake files.
> If programmer's system have only one Qt, we can autodetect version of Qt (I
> hope). But what we should to do if both Qt are installed?

Autodetect sounds more complicated, for users that can support both Qt
4 and Qt 5 it's just a matter of:

if(USE_QT5)
  find_package(Qt5Xdg REQUIRED)
else()
  find_package(Qt4Xdg REQUIRED)
endif()

Projects that rely on either Qt 4 or Qt 5 will just have only one
find_package() line.

If you export targets we might export the same target, for example
QtXdg for the both libraries if we want to save users from some
typing.

--
Out of the box experience
http://www.maui-project.org/