john> I've just installed LyX 1.1.2 (the most recent stable version)
john> on a Slackware 7 system (glibc-2.1), after reading README and
john> INSTALL, with:

john>   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkg/lyx-1.1.2 make make
john> install

This should work indeed. However, there is a bug in lyx 1.1.2 in this
respect. Upgrading to lyx 1.1.4fix1 should fix your problems. Another
solution is to set the environment variable LYX_DIR_11x to point to
/usr/local/pkg/lyx-1.1.2/share/lyx.

The bug is that lyx is not able to find its data dir by looking at
[bindir]/../share/lyx (because of the symlink) and the hardcoded
fallback directory is not correct in this version.

However, now that I think of it, there is code which is supposed to
follow symlinks and find the real binary directory... Could you send
the output of "lyx -dbg init"?