In lyx-1.5.0svn (r17395) and on my linux box, when I ask lyx (in the
GUI) to reconfigure my latex configuration, I notice that it complains with

checking for an HTML previewer...
+checking for "mozilla"...   no
+checking for "netscape"...   no

However, there is no mozilla or netscape on linux at the moment. mozilla
has given way to firefox and seamonkey and netscape hasn't risen from
the ashes yet. Assuming that this is why there's no View HTML under the
View menu, does it makes sense to also search for firefox and/or
konqueror on linux? (Don't know about OSX, Windows or other Unix.)

Perhaps the following line in

lib/configure.py:    checkViewer('an HTML previewer', ['mozilla
file://$$p$$i', 'netscape'],

could be changed to

lib/configure.py:    checkViewer('an HTML previewer', ['mozilla
file://$$p$$i', 'netscape', 'firefox']

or somesuch.

When I change lib/configure.py on my linux box to the second line above,
a 'View HTML' option shows up in the GUI and I'm able to view HTML using
firefox.

Anand