Stefan, I like it!

:)

I haven't gone over the code at all yet, I hope to be able to do that over the weekend, maybe. But in terms of the behavior --- I like it a lot. And it solves all of the related crashes that I know of. And I think that it's the right approach in terms of not using any magic (except while typing in, if you can all the EPM magic...).

I didn't think I would like the EPM business, but now that I see what you mean, I think it's a good idea! There are still some minor issues to work out, though:

1) type 'abc' F12 <space> 'def' F12 <space> 'ghi'

You get this (visually):

abc[FED ] ghi

Shouldn't the EPM have gotten rid of one of the spaces between 'D' and 'g'?

Yes, it should. Or in fact the last space should not have been possible to enter. Will look into it.

Guy in the other thread prefers some magic here that the first space is moved to the other side (so in fact the LyX 1.3 behavior. What do you think? We could probably implement such a magic in the insertChar handler.

2) This one I'm not able to reproduce reliably: sometimes I'm losing a space which should *not* be lost: after playing around on a boundary, trying to insert spaces and watching them magically disappear, I sometimes lose also the last space that was there. Again, I don't have a recipe for reproducing this yet, so I may be wrong, but I suggest trying to play around there. Or maybe a solution to the above issue will solve this, too.

I guess there is a small mistake in the code which forbids to enter certain spaces (and at the moment allows some which shouldn't be entered, see above). Have to check the logic there again.

I'll try to go over the code in the next few days, and it would be great if other bidi users could test this and see what they have to say about it. But as far as I'm concerned, this is OK to go in (preferably with a fix for the above issues; but even without them, I think it's better than the current situation), so that we can get as much testing as possible before the final release.

Let's see. If the upper bug is fixed we should "urge" José to allow us to commit. If I understood his "OK" in the other thread correctly, he aggreed already to commit the first two or three patches. I didn't do it yet, because they break the RTL behavior a bit if we do not commit the other patch from this thread as well.

Stefan