Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Helge Hafting wrote:
If the layout is then changed to "Title", then the box
will say
o default (center)
o justified
o right
o center
o left
This way you see clearly whether the alignment is explicit or at its default - and everything (including default) can be set with a single click. No confusion as to what any extra button does.
This is a good alternative of course but I still prefer the other one (with the button) :-)
Please read this exchange carefully. Helge said, "This way you see clearly whether the alignment is explicit or at its default". The proposal you are endorsing does not do this: There's only the one button, "Default (Center)", and it gets checked either way. You can't tell whether the alignment has been explicitly set to Center or happens to be that way because that's the default. But in fact, the two of you are talking past each other, because I don't think it's been properly recognized that this distinction simply won't exist if we go the four-button route. Some people have seen this, for sure, but I don't think the costs of that are being properly appreciated.

This is the crucial question: Do we want the UI to reflect the difference between LYX_ALIGN_LAYOUT and LYX_ALIGN_JUSTIFIED, even in the case where the layout and paragraph style currently in use would set the current paragraph to Block? Or better: Do we want LyX itself to make this distinction? Do we want users to be able to set a paragraph's alignment to LYX_ALIGN_LEFT even when that happens to be the current default? What Helge and I are saying is that we should. There are plenty of cases, even if they are not extremely common, where it would make sense to want to do this. I simply do not see why we should prevent people from doing it, and that is what we would be doing---and I also don't see that "you can always use ERT" counts as an answer to this concern. Is one extra radio button all that much? If users need to be educated about this difference, well, then I think they should be educated about it. It's part of understanding the role of the document class.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto