Helge Hafting wrote:
> > Good idea, if only for "print as file".
> >

> I definitely meant "print to printer", not "print to file".
> Those who want a file can still use File->export->pdflatex.

Why? We have "print to file", which should provide at least these two options.
(else, we should get rid of "print to file" completely).

> >> Not only is this noticeably faster, but it also
> >> support printing documents using the microtype package.
> >>

> > Modern LaTeX distributions use pdflatex also for DVI output.
> >

> Nice - that means the problem will go away.  But what latex
> distributions are considered "new"?  I am using texlive from
> debian unstable, which is usually recent enough.

TeXLive 2007 has it, I think teTeX 3 as well. I can't remember when the change
happened.

> Still, view->pdf and view->dvi comes up different when microtype
> is in use.

I think some microtypographic features are disabled in pdftex's dvi mode.

Jürgen