Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
No, what you are talking about is the frontend -> core communication,
which I agree should be kept working via LFUN. But we don't need any
serialization to do that, just a well defined protocol.
Right now, we have a copy of the current ParagraphParam in the
controller and this is very wrong.
It would make sense for the protocol to just use the relvant and
already existing read/write methods.
Yes, that's the big advantage of the serialization: You have a single method for doing various things; and some kind of strings->params, params->string stuff is obviously needed, if only to read and write LyX files. So, as Georg said, maybe it's the mailer implementation that needs attention. Anyway, I'm not actually proposing to try to deal with this now. This all arose only because there was a possibility, raised by Georg, that the mailer stuff was going to cause problems with the attempt to disentangle inset types from the commands they implement, a problem that arises from the way the mailers are involved in communication between the frontend and the core. As it happens, it isn't a problem, in the end. But the fact that it might have been a problem, and the fact that the mailers are used in this case essentially to do this:
params --> string --> params
is kind of bothersome.

Richard