Can someone file a bug report about this? The footnote-insert LFUN should be disabled in floats if it doesn't work.

Surely there is a solution to this problem, though. The footnote package seems to address some issues like this.

rh

Tobias Krause wrote:
I had the same problem. It's a LaTeX limitation: footnotes in floats do not work... (for German users: http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/html/makros2.html#57)

If any possible it'd be the best way not to use footnotes in captions -- if you have to I prefer this way:

   set the footnotemark in the caption via

       \setcounter{footnote}{\value{footnote}}\protect\footnotemark

   set the footnotetext via

       \footnotetext{This is the footnote text.}

   unfortunately this has to be set on the correct page (the page used
   by LaTeX for the float) by hand, which means you might have to
   change this at the very end and you cannot rely on LaTeX to do
   everything...

As far as I know there is no other way to get it working the expected way. All other options are something like putting footnotemark and footnotetext in a minipage which is quite sure not what you wanted.

Toby