Andre Poenitz wrote:

>> 1) change of height of currently edited par
>>   1.a) break of currently edited par (Enter)
>> 2) cut and paste operations
>> 3) width resize of screen

>> If you have serious concerns about this (probably due to the
>> past experience on developing LyX), the best solution would
>> be a "summing (balanced) tree", that would exhibit O(log n)
>> complexity for little updates like needed in 1) [not sure about
>> 1.a], but probably you won't avoid the O(n) updates in case of
>> 2) or 3).
>
> I think loading/resizing in 4 second is ok. 20 is rather not.
> I know, it's not that bad, I am exaggerating. And of course
> one could provide some more versose status message (as in 23/5490
> paragraphs done) giving the impression that 'something' happens...

Mmm... I think this would be pretty bad.

>> If you look at the patch code, you'll notice that many times
>> (not all, though) paragraph heights are managed through
>> dedicated methods (tm.parHeight(), tm.computeHeight(par1, par2)),
>> instead of using the "standard" par_metrics_[p].height(), just
>> in view of such possibility.
>
> The patch as such looks like a sensible implementation of the idea
> (plus/minus some minor quirks). However, as this is quite intrusive
> change of concept I'd rather make sure the concept is sound. And I
> do not really want to rely on gut feelings only here (my gut says:
> Id shoul be ok as we used to o it like that for a while and the
> lazy rebreaking was not too much of a  success and machines are
> faster tofday then five years ago).

My main concern is that is much more difficult to go the nonlazy -> lazy
route as we have done (and Andre' and myself invested a good deal of time
doing it) than the other way around. So we should make this decision very
carefully.

PS: I *think* I agree with Andre on this point, but I rather not say
it 'cause lately I'm not guessing right ;-)

A/