Dear LyX crew,

I have just finished creating a web page with instructions to show
people how to create pdf files with Aladdin ghostscript ( instructions
accessible from http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12 ).  If you look at
this page, you will see how much I love LyX. :)

  I have found that LyX doesn't produce DVI or postscript files which
are compatible with this technique.

If one exports a postscript file from LyX, then builds a pdf file from
it, the file will contain type3 font encodings.

If one exports a DVI file from LyX, one cannot build a postscript file
with Type1 font encoding by the command "dvips -Ppdf filename.dvi"
(causes errors in metafont, forcing it to make type3 fonts)

A little experimentation has shown that the incompatability lies within
the default LyX preamble.  The lines
        \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
        \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

create all the problems.  If I export my document as a LaTeX file and
remove these two lines, everything works perfectly.  The computer modern
fonts are embedded properly as Type1 fonts.  I have also been able to
use the "times" style package.

To make LyX output compatible with PDF files would be pretty easy.  I
would suggest that a "PDF" template be included in the next LyX release,
which would be identical to the default template except for the omission
of the above \usepackage lines.

By the way, I am using version 1.1.5 (fix1).

I think you are making one of the best document preparation tools around
today!  Thanks!

--
Michael O'Brien