> As already mentioned, I propose to use ulem instead of soul for the output of
> struck out text (i.e., change tracking with pdflatex).
>
> It turned out that soul is way too fragile. Ulem does the same job (striking
> out with line break support), and it is significantly more robust.
>
> Objections?

When we use ulem only for change tracking then no objections from me, otherwise
yes.
ulem does not support hyphenating and strikes out character parts below the
baseline.
For example will ulem strike through the lower parts of "p", "g" etc. while soul handle this case correctly. As ulem doesn't support hyphenations and has some other disadvantages compared to soul, Heiko Oberdiek chose soul as base for his UTF8 striking package soulutf8. (OK, I don't know exactly the internals of soul and ulem concerning Unicode.) (Btw. I described both packages in my old LyXMathebefehle file, see http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/LyX/LyXMathebefehle/LyXMathebefehle-3-09.pdf , sec. 22.13.)

regards Uwe