On 2010-03-01, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:
>> But this is just one side. A filename, a C command or some Acronym in a
>> Greek document do not gain from beeing marked as another language but
>> still should keep Latin letters as such!

> Then, the user should still mark the code semantically (as LyX code or
> whatever), and this semantic markup should take care about the encoding.

While this is the "reine Lehre", it is often impractical (besides the
impossibility to mark inline text as LyX code).

* Quite a lot of acronyms are international and will not be hyphenated
  anyway.

* SI unit symbols are international as well.

* Short quotes in a language that I do not have installed. It would be
  misleading to mark e.g. a Vietnamese quote as French in a Greek
  document, just to prevent it to become Greeeknamese.

Also, the current behaviour is unusal in two ways:

a) In LyX, I can easily insert Greek or Cyrillic symbols/words in a text
   written with the Latin or Cyrillic alphabet, this is currently not
   possible for Latin inside Greek.

b) In other Unicode aware programs (as well as with LyX/XeTeX), Latin
   characters stay Latin even in a Greek context.

Practicability beats purity!

Günter