>+
>+      // if the metrics have not been calculated, then we are not
>+      // on screen and can safely ignore issues about boundaries.
>+      if (!contains(pit))
>+              return false;
>+

I don't like this. The function is called: isRTLBoundary(), so I expect
it to return whether the cursor is at an RTL boundary or not. I do not
expect it to return false by definition if it is out of view.

The only reason that we need the Metrics is that there is already a
special case introduced when e.g. the cursor is at the beginning of a
line. This is not the most beautiful solution, but now the spaghetti
gets tangled more and more.

Vincent