Dear LyX developers,

The 'accent-*' LFUNs place a combining Unicode behind the to-be-accented
char and normalize them if possible.

Without normalization, the expansion of combining Unicode chars fails for
Cyrillic and Greek letters.

Example: "accent-tilde alpha" becomes \~{\textgreek{a}} which places the
accent before the letter.

(For a LyX test file, see http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6463)

For a generic solution, we would need to

* Revert the application of “combining” and “textgreek” features, so
  that the accent markup comes inside the \textgreek definition, e.g.
  \~{\textgreek{a}} -> \textgreek{\~{a}}.

* Remove the braces around the argument for Greek (implemented in trunk)
  \textgreek{\~{a}} -> \textgreek{\~a}.

  Or use a proper accent setup for LGR font encoding
  (see http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/ and
  http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/lgrenc-accents.def)

For the Greek perispomeni (tilde/circumflex), we could

  Define a new LFUN accent-perispomeni (inserting COMBINING GREEK
  PERISPOMENI)

resulting in two LFUNS for the same visual effect with different
semantics:

The Greek perispomeni accent

• looks like a tilde,

• has the semantic and etymology of a circumflex accent.

Therefore,

• there is a separate Unicode character, COMBINING GREEK PERISPOMENI (0x0342),

• <Greek letter> + COMBINING TILDE is not normalized to the corresponding
  “... WITH PERISPOMENI” letter.

However,

* in LaTeX, the "asciitilde" '~' is used for input of both, the tilde
  accent and the Greek perispomeni.

* Two LFUNs would also require two keybindings for a ~-accent on either
  Greek or non-Greek characters.

This is why I ask for a consensus on how to proceed.

Günter