On 2011-07-08, Neal Becker wrote:

> I tried to insert a special character ½, and found it difficult to
> locate.  I use kcharselect (from kde) to find it.  It has a search bar.
> Just type in the term 'half', and it's the first thing shown (on my
> machine).

> My suggestion is add a searchbar to the insert special character.

I suggest two search types, by:

* Unicode character name (as in e.g. kcharselect or gucharmap or Jed's
  ch_table mode).

* LaTeX command name (as listed in LyX's "unicodesymbols" file).

> BTW, I can use kcharselect to locate a unicode character.  But, I don't
> think it would generally work to just paste in a unicode character to a
> LaTeX document, correct?

Only few Unicode characters work in a LaTeX document if you convert it with
"traditional" TeX engines (pdftex). It works "out of the box" with XeTeX or
LuaTeX.

LyX, OTOH, translates many Unicode characters to a "LaTeX internal
character representation" (LICR) when exporting the document to tex. This
is why chances are high to have it working also with traditional TeX
engines.

If you find a character not supported by LyX but know it is supported by
traditional LaTeX, file a bug report.

Günter