Am 28.06.2012 11:23, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

The reason why I don't accept this installer now is that:
- the installer installs LyX in a folder called: LyX 2.0.4 instead of LyX20 as
the current official
installer does. I really don't see a single reason to change this behaviour;

We discusses that properly and now name the proposed folder "LyX 2.0".

- this means that you have to manually uninstall the previous version each time;
> - this also means that you have to manually uninstall the previous version
_before_ installing
> the new version;
> - you forced this upon the user by disallowing to install LyX when a version
of LyX is already
> installed;

These 3 issues were not correct as one can install different LyX versions side by side. No uninstalling was necessary. However, due to the new naming scheme, users will now install over existing ones by default. So they are is fixed too.

- this prevents the user from installing a new version even if it does not have
rights to uninstall
the previous one;

Now he can. I also fixed the bug that the same LyX version could first be installed as admin and afterwards again without admin permissions.

- you still insist on installing the LyX shortcut in a subfolder in the start
menu. Your reply that
this was much easier if you want to manually reorder the start menu, but this
is totally non-sense;

I provided a sscreenshot showing that almost all programs setup its own folder in the start menu. The new LyX installer there now also links our website and Wiki. Having the Wiki linked is helpful and I see that almost all other programs also link their website and help. (Personally, I often use these links when I look for help.) But however, other commented that they find it useful to have folder there. So this might be a matter of taste but is no reason to block the installer.

- you fiercely protest against an option to not install all exotic MikTeX
packages, but you do think
it is ok to prompt a message box to the user forcing him to choose whether to
update MikTeX.

I explained why prompting to update MiKTeX is important. The main work is not to provide the installer but to help users getting a working installation. I have had many cases where users suffered from bugs that have already been fixed on CTAN. An update will not harm and if you don't like that you can say NO at the prompt.

Concerning the automatic package installation I have made clear why this is very, very important and others commenters in this thread had the same experience. Compared to the current installer you will need the same time to install. So there is no advantage nor regression. We cannot do much to improve the situation as we cannot know what packages a user will need and which ones not. But this (on some machines) long package installation is only necessary once. For all further LyX installations you will only have to install a few packages or even no one. So this issue is not different from the current installer so that there is no reason to block the new one.

--------

So I think the new installer can now become the official one. This installer provides the same features as the current one but has some new features. More important is that we start to begin providing an installer that is under maintenance. For example the current installer for LyX 2.0.4 on our FTP-serer is not under maintenance for at least half a year so that people are for example are suffering from bugs in ImageMagick fixed last December (http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8233).

I have now provided the new installer version "LyX-204-3" here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lyxwininstaller/

Richard, can you please put it on ftp.lyx.org

Can anybody please tell me to whom I can send the new dependency package? I
found the current one at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lyx/files/Win_installers/Dependencies/
but cannot upload it there as I am not registered as developer of this project. Can anybody please add me?

thanks and regards
Uwe