On Saturday 13 April 2013 11:36:18 Pavel Sanda wrote:
> José Matos wrote:
> > In the mean time it is possible to use the features of python 2.7 that
> > allow an easy update to python 3.3.
>
> I hope we already at least support python 2.7, cause what I see in
> changelogs, Uwe already ships it in Win version :)

Sure, lyx works with python 2.7 but it does not make any use of the new
features that are present in python-2.7 but are not present in python-2.4. That
is the point of forward compatible. :-)

When I say that we should support python-2.7 I mean, in this context, that we
should make python-2.7 the minimum supported version in order to simplify a
transition to python 3 later.

> > Note that even if we go python 3 we should set a minimum version, like say
> > python 3.2 or even python 3.3 if we are feeling lucky. :-)
>
> You mean that backward compatibility issues are even within 3.x series?

No. Not with that alarming tone. :-)

I mean that it is easy to go from python-2.7 to python-3.3 (or 3.2) that it is
to go from python-2.7 to python-3.0 or python-3.1.

Take as an example the python 3.3 release:
http://www.python.org/getit/releases/3.3.0/

Notice the third paragraph:
"Python 3.3 includes a range of improvements of the 3.x series, as well as
*easier porting* between 2.x and 3.x."

In the development of python 3.3 there was a moratorium in the development of
new language features in order to improve both the standard library and the
porting of the code from 2.x.

> > Note that personally I have no problem going the python 3 route and if we
> > decide to go that way I will support it.
>
> I don't feel any hurry for bumping, just tried to catch you while your are
> active, otherwise I'm not sure who wants to do that...
>
> Pavel

Note that I am proposing this change after lyx-2.1 is released so in a sense
this discussion is premature.

Oh, BTW and then if we go with python 3.x we can call the next version lyx 3.0.
:-D
Or we can already adopt the firefox convention and go with lyx-3.0 for new
release. :-)

FWIW on a more serious note that are lots of very competent python programmers
in this list so I am not worried. :-)

Regards,
--
José Abílio