On Apr 14, 2013, at 9:56 PM, Nico Williams wrote:

> There's nothing in the LyX GUI that makes it inherently less accessible than,
> say, Microsoft's Word.  The main problem with adding accessibility is in
> using an API that keeps LyX portable.  There's lots of little details that
> need to be addressed in order to make a GUI easily accessible by the
> sight-impaired, but it's definitely in the realm of the possible.  Consider
> that many apps of similar GUI complexity are in fact accessible by the
> sight-impaired, even web browsers!  The little details have to do with making
> navigation efficient and straightforward, like making sure that all graphical
> element have meaningful labels, that there are suitable keyboard shortcuts
> for all actions, and so on.  Input from an actual sight-impaired power user
> would be most useful.

On at least one occasion, on the texhax mailing list, I suggested LyX to a
visually-impaired user, who was interested until he learned that the underlying
toolkit was QT, which isn't well-supported by screen-readers.

At one point in time, LyX was GUI-independent, but apparently that was given up?

I guess the best solution would be for QT to become friendly to screen readers,
but that's out-of-scope.

William

--
William Adams