Am 06.11.2015 um 09:52 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org>:

> Le 06/11/2015 05:37, Pavel Sanda a écrit :
>> Guillaume Munch wrote:
>>> express any intention. Your description gives the impression that if
>>> your collaborator starts writing and they do not see that the changes
>>> are not being tracked, then they will not know or care about enabling
>>> change tracking, as if they had no clue, and this little button has to
>>> be enabled for them without them to know about it... This seems a bit
>>> far fetched to me.
>>
>> It is actually were rare that I co-work with geeks and I am very
>> lucky if I have someone willing to open file in lyx, not to talk
>> about recognizing what various buttons on toolbar might mean.
>
> First a disclaimer: I do not use change tracking with LyX (otherwise I would
> have implemented hidden deletions long ago :). I do however, use it when I am
> force to collaborate through .doc file (for research contracts mostly). And I
> can tell you the truth:
>
>          People don't know what they are doing.
>
> In this sense, I support keeping a permanent setting for change tracking, as
> a state of a document. I think that the workflow "some of the coauthors use
> CT for fun" is not what should dictate the design of the feature.

I'm using change tracking with LyX-documentation only and think this is an
good example for a workflow where the state should be part of the document.
All the co-authors use change tracking and one person is doing the review
and accepts the changes and controls the state of the change tracking.

I agree with Pavel that there is no need for security whistles and bells
to make change tracking mandatory for some document.

In this sense there is no need to reduce the likely-hood of merge conflicts
with the state of change tracking. It's not a setting to toggle often, IMHO.

Stephan