Currently it seems quite difficult to get the search function to really
find everything that might be in a lyx-document.

One example:
Open a new document, language is set to English.
Enter a word enclosed in smart quotes.
Change document language to German with the corresponding smart quotes.
Enter a word enclosed with smart quotes.
Enter a third word, this time enclosing it with direct quotes (Opt-^ /
Opt-2)

This results in the following source:
``word'' ,,word`` \quotedblbase word\textquotedblleft{}

When you open the search panel and enter the key-combo used for
smart-quotes you will get the "ascii-quote" sign and will not find anything.
When entering the direct German closing quote, you will only find
\textquotedblleft{}, but not ``.
The ‘smart’-quotes are invisible to search?

So while in the editor, one and the same character representation should
be found when searching for it. (Being aware of the diffreent means to
achieve it.)

(btw: entering `` into the search panel renders it inoperable?
This is on OS X: the input obviously waits for a second compose
character that the acent goes to and doesn’t treat this as a backtick.
Nevertheless, the search button ist dead and when you switch to the
document and back to the search panel one of the `’s is gone.
As a workaround entering space and deleting that right away reactivates
the button.)

This is aggravated in old, grown, evolved, revised or collaborated on
documents.

But I think this could be generalized.
It seems to me that it applies to many more use cases, when searching
for anything that is not alphabetical text.

How can I find instances of direct formatting; e.g. LyX’s italics; set
directly so in contrast to defined through ‘logical markup’?
How can I search for ERT? (The text in those can be found, not
necessarily like ‘the next box’)
How can I find graphics, other insets or indeed most of the stuff from
the insert-menu?
How can I find environments that are not represented in the outline view
(i.e.: the navigate-menu could be fuller populated: next language, next
footnote etc.)?

This looks like quite a list, of course.
(Assuming the above documents something more than my ignorance)

But wouldn’t it be a treat to start it by enhancing the source view with
a find-in-source facility?

greetings
Mike