Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed this message.

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Le 31/05/2016 à 22:26, Georg Baum a écrit :
>> We need to decide: Either have a fixed schedule, and an unknown feature
>> set of the next release, or a fixed feature set, and an unknown schedule.
>> We do not have enough man power for defining both a fixed feature set and
>> a fixed release schedule.
>
> I prefer the fixed schedule. We never know exactly when starting a
> release cycle what features will happen or not. But we can enforce when
> the release will happen.

Makes sense.

>> - Have a build server that does automatic builds on a regular basis for
>> all three platforms (Linux, OS X, windows) and makes binary packages and
>> build logs available.
>
> Do you have a particular service in mind? I agree that this would be
> nifty.

No, I have not yet searched, but I am convinced that it pays off to invest
some time into that. If we had it for 2.2.0 it could have saved a lot of
work and unneeded discussions.

>> - (not related to automation) Disentangle unrelated stuff from the
>> release. For example, the current way of updating the documentation is
>> inefficient. In agile software development you write the documentation of
>> a new feature almost at the same time as you implement the fetaure (this
>> is one of the good aspects of agile software development). If we do that
>> as well we can get rid of a noticeable delay at release time.
>
> The problem is that we are not very good at writing documentation and we
> let Uwe do all this. If he had a small team of documenters to help, life
> would be much easier.

I am not sure whether we are not good at writing docs. We should simply try
how far we get if we encourage everybody to document his new features.

Georg