racoon wrote:

> On 09.07.2016 17:33, racoon wrote:
>  > Next, I copy the dependencies. The culprit is, however, that there is
>  > no lyx.exe in
>  > C:\LyX\lyx-23-build\msvc2015-deps\lyx-windows-deps-msvc2015\bin... so I
>  > can't execute it.
>
> There are LyX.exe files in
>
> C:\LyX\lyx-23-build\bin\Debug
>
> and
>
> C:\LyX\lyx-23-build\LYX_INSTALLED\bin
>
> though. But I am not sure what to do with it.

The current installation instructions do not know of F5 or Ctrl-F5 in MSVC
(although F5 is the most important reason to use MSVC and not mingw IMHO),
so you are supposed to run LyX from C:\LyX\lyx-23-build\LYX_INSTALLED\bin.
(to those who do not know MSVC: Ctrl-F5 starts the built executable, F5
starts it in the debugger).

Many thanks for all your patience! I have incorporated all feedback in
INSTALL.Win32. You did now execute all steps of the current installation
instructions successfully. Now, I'd like to extend the instructions to make
building LyX easier and less error prone in the future, and it would be very
nice if you could help:

1) The most important step would be to get rid of the requirement to set
LYX_INSTALL. This should only be needed for building an installer. Maybe
this is only a matter of documentation, maybe the code in
src/support/Package.cpp that handles all the path stuff for configuration
files needs some adjustments for running from the build directory in MSVC.

2) Later some stuff like copying Qt dlls should be automated in cmake.

If you want to help with 1), please do the following: Instead of compiling
the INSTALL project, compile the LyX project that should be available in the
solution as well. Then try to run LyX by pressing F5. Does that start LyX?
Does the debugger show any errors? If it starts LyX, does LyX find
configure.py (it should be executaed automatically on he first start, or if
you run it manually from the Tools menu). If configure.py is found, are all
the usual document classes and modules available?

Georg