On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 08.09.2016, 14:45 +0200 schrieb Jean-Marc
> Lasgouttes:
>
> > I have missed most of the discussion, but I have to admit that the
> > current panes system is not intuitive to me. Actually, when I open
> > the
> > dialog, I am not completely sure of what I see.
>
> These are not panes, but so-called tool boxes (in Qt speech)
>
> > I am sure this has been debated but what is the reason why we do not
> > use
> > good old tabs for these two panes? I'd say that what you using there
> > can
> > be good for sidebars, but not necessarily dialogs.
>
> On the contrary, I think that tabs are useful for whole dialog
> sections, while ToolBoxes are more useful for collapsing parts of a
> dialog. This is how these widgets are used at least in KDE.
>
> But if everybody thinks it is irritating, then change it to tabs.

I think there are three problems--(a) the users who are used to the old way
might be getting annoyed at the changes, (b) the new interface does not
present the available options in a self-explanatory way (not apparent that
search is clickable, but there is what looks like a text field that cannot
be typed into), and (c) the options that are available by default are not
presented in the logical order of need (formatting is available before a
citation is selected, and search is hidden).

As for (a), I agree that people should just deal. But I think (b) and (c)
are new problems with the GUI design that were introduced to fix something
that might not have been a huge deal in the first place.

What about at least changing it so that "Search" appears in "open position"
or in a top tab, and "Formatting" is in a back tab?

Maria