On 2016-09-08, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 04:42:30PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> I don't want blurring the distinction of text-mode and math-mode commands.

> I don't understand this argument.

For me (and others), LyX is also a way to learn LaTeX. Typing LaTeX macros
in LyX that work in LyX but not in TeX is counter-productive in this case.

> If you enter a text-mode command
> directly in a latex equation, you get the same kind of error. You
> have to insert it in a proper environment for it to work and you
> could still do it in lyx. Now, you have to do it for avoiding
> the error, while, with the patch, lyx will do it for you.

However, this is inconsistent:

* if I insert a literal degree-sign from the keyboard into mathed, LyX
  wraps it in \text while inserting,
* if I write \textdegree in mathed, LyX wraps it when exporting (after your
  patch).

>> It is far more difficult to restore this distinction after starting to
>> support commands in the wrong mode with "silent additions".

> LyX is full of silent additions aimed at avoiding the occurrence of errors.
> I don't buy the argument that a further inset has to be explicitly
> inserted.

Silent "helpers" all too often stay in the way when doing something the
original author did not think of...

> If you copy and paste an equation outside of lyx, the
> "silent additions" are also provided, so they are not so silent.

Really? With an integral in "mathed text" I got:

* in the source pane: $A=\text{\ensuremath{\int}d}x$

* copying the complete mathbox: A=\text{\ensuremath{\int}d}x

* copying from inside the math-box: \text{\int d}x

> This one seems to me a philosophical argument that I don't understand.
> Ideally, I would avoid any non necessary inset that simply clutter
> the display and cause problems when you do not exactly position the
> cursor when making an insertion.

>> This is why I strongly prefer a clear specification of the desired behaviour
>> and LyX format before any changes of text-in-math support.

> There is no such a change but simply a prosecution of a work initiated
> many years ago that proved to be effective. I am going to commit the
> patch because it is no change of direction, unless the majority votes
> against and stops me.

At least, this will stop the silent wrapping of text-mode macros in
\ensuremath if correctly used...

Günter