Maria Gouskova wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> I just upgraded to 2.2.1 today. I can see that there have been a lot of
> changes in the appearance of the interface, so obviously quite a lot of
> work went into the redesign. I confess I was stumped, though, when I went
> to insert a citation. The "Search" and "Formatting" options are hidden,
> and it's done in such a way that if I didn't know that they were there, it
> would not occur to me that those areas of the window were clickable. So I
> was wondering what the motivation was for the change--I can see that it's
> a "cleaner" look, but I think it really hampers the usability of the GUI,
> especially for new users.

I agree with Maria that the new dialog is a usability regression.

If there is a redesign of the dialog, could it be posible to put the search
field on the top ?

My workflow to insert a citation is :

1) type the name of the author or some word of the title. My main
bibliography file has around 1900 entries and grows slowly.
2) select the exact reference in the list
3) add a page number
4) insert

Having the search field on top and the results below is what is intuitive
today after years of Google use.

I think kbibtex has a rather nice search field that take little vertical
space and hides seldom used search options behind a button.

If you have search-as-you-type, I'm wondering who needs search with regular
expressions. I'm certainly not a real geek !

Cheers,
Charles