Dear Jürgen, dear LyX developers,

On 2016-10-21, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: quoted-printable --]

> Am Freitag, den 21.10.2016, 09:12 +0200 schrieb Günter Milde:
>> +       fontModule->fontencCO->addItem(qt_("TeX default (OT1, no
>> fontenc)"), QString("default"));

> That's not necessarily true. It just means "don't load fontenc
> explicitly". The class (or a package) might load fontenc with something
> else than OT1.

> So the old string was more adequate.

We are in a predicament here:

a) fontenc=="default" ensures that LyX does not load fontenc.sty, even if
   LGR or T2A font encodings are required for Greek or Cyrillic letters.

b) you are right, the user preamble, a class or module may change the font
   encoding (with or without loading fontenc).

The situation is equivalent to "Default" font settings - LyX does not load a
font package or modify \rmdefault etc. Unfortunately, the old strings used
"Default" for "global Default" (which defaults to T1 and not the LaTeX
default).

Would it help to remove just the "OT1" leaving "TeX default, no fontenc"?
* texperts know the TeX default is OT1
* texpert know the default can be changed and fontenc (as any package) can
  be loaded by a package or class
* tex-ignorants will not be helped with "OT1".

My incentive was to clear the confusion with
   <LyX global default> != <LaTeX default>
in a GUI dialog where otherwise "Default" stands for <LaTeX default>.

Maybe there is a better suggestion...

Thanks,
Günter