On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 02:27:50PM +1300, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
> Working on two documents at once with different levels of headings reveals a
> problem with the outliner. If doc1 has, say, 3 levels (chap., sec., subsec.)
> and doc2 has none, then the slider indicating how many levels to display is
> dominated by doc2. Setting the slider for doc1 to show 3 levels, then
> switching to doc2 zeros it again. Switching back to doc1, it stays at the
> zero setting. When one is constantly switching between the documents, this
> becomes irritating. (I don't know what the "keep" checkbox is supposed to
> do, but it certainly doesn't retain the doc1 setting.) It would be good if
> the slider setting "stuck" to a document.
>
> I experimented by adding a couple of heading levels to doc2. Switching
> between the documents shows the slider remembers 2 levels now. The smaller
> number of levels still dominates.

I would say create a bug report for this and specify the component
"outliner". I think there are several known fundamental problems with
the outliner, perhaps necessitating a big rewrite to work around some
issues. So if we have all the bugs up there, then when someone does
finally get annoyed enough to tackle the mess, there will not be a
shortage of information.

Scott