> However, the parsing error is harmless as the workaround is already "the
> right thing". Just try:

It does not matter if it works by accident or not. The file format is
"corrupted" and needs to be corrected on conversion.

> Furthermore, LyX documents with "\inputencoding pt254" are a very rare case
> (maybe even nonexisting):

Not an argument either.

> For eventually existing rare cases, it is very hard to guess what would be
> "sensible value":
>   * someone setting inputencoding away from "auto" to an
>     Cyrillic-Asian-Mac 8-bit encoding may not be served well with any
>     auto-guessed replacement.

It is like for reversion of new languages: Just take something that makes
most sense.

> In any case, I don't think it is worth the effort.

But it has to be done. It's almost a one-liner method in lyx2lyx anyway.

Jürgen