On 13/12/2016 11:25, Helge Hafting wrote:
that's why I'm looking into AppArmor instead, which is essentially
Seems like a good thing - especially the ability to prevent
networking. No network - no LyX-based virus at least.

we need both, file-system confinement and no networking, otherwise
e.g., an R script in a LyX doc might overwrite ~/.Rprofile, which might
getexecuted next time the user runs R independently (outside of LyX,
where it's not confined). On the other hand, allowing only to read
~/.Rprofile (without writing) seems useful and not harmful.

About chroot-ing, albeit seems doable to copy what a converter needs
in the restricted root, eg, ldd gives you what dynlibs are needed,
the problem stays with additional data the program might need, plus
you need additional privileges to chroot(), overall making the chroot()
way quite impractical [ we don't want to have any suid exe in lyx, do we :-) ? ]

        T.