On 15/01/17 00:11, Stephan Witt wrote:
Am 15.01.2017 um 00:05 schrieb Stephan Witt <st.w...@gmx.net>:

Am 14.01.2017 um 17:42 schrieb pdv <pdvissch...@edpnet.be>:

The current master fails to start-up (on macOS) if the default Python is
Python3.x, because prefs2prefs.py is not compatible with Python3.

This looks strange. The python people say python 2.7 is the default on Mac
(including the latest OS Sierra).

http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/starting/install3/osx/

Stephan

In python23() in os.cpp both Python 2 and Python 3 are accepted.

As a temporarily workaround I've built with PYTHON="/usr/bin/python" which is
the default apple-python, but that doesn't seem to help.

P. De Visschere

Sorry, I misunderstood - you are trying to force the use of the default 2.7
python. I think you have to force the use of correct python at run-time. It
doesn’t matter what your environment is at compile time. This is the correct
behavior, IMO.

Stephan

I agree but what then is the use of PYTHON at configure time?

And yes python2.7 is the default apple python, but if e.g. one has python installed with macports this one (might) take precedence. Before running LyX one now has to select a python2 version or none. Since LyX seems to accept also python3 I thought that one was not aware that prefs2prefs.py is not yet compatible.

P. De Visschere