On 2017-01-15, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:45:09PM +0100, Günter Milde wrote:
>> commit 809b8b62a43f7dc18fef9b28759007456c586931
>> Author: Günter Milde <mi...@lyx.org>
>> Date:   Sat Jan 14 22:43:37 2017 +0100

>>     Add FontEncoding to language descriptions.

>>     Add FontEncoding tag for all languages with 8-bit hyphenation patterns
>>     requiring a specific font encoding.

> I believe this commit caused the following tests to fail:

>   export/doc/attic/pl_Additional_pdf2 (Failed)
>   export/doc/attic/pl_Additional_pdf5_texF (Failed)

> Can you take a look and see if these failures are expected (e.g. we were
> just lucky before to compile successfully)?

Thank your for the report. Actually, we were lucky these "attic" tests
failed, because the "real" Polish documentation did not fail but produce
wrong output (no emphasized text)!

The reason is that the font tags lead to forced use of the font encoding
given for the document language.

This is the right thing for some languages (that would not work at all
otherwise) but not for Polish, where improved hyphenation is traded
against less font choice. The new logic of the "auto" fontenc setting
shall balance this tradeoff. Until "auto" fontenc is implemented, I'll
revert the patch.

Günter