Am Mittwoch, den 19.04.2017, 12:43 +0000 schrieb Guenter Milde:
> LyX reserves the right to generate different output with different
> versions
> ("Änderungen die dem technischen Fortschritt dienen …").

This is new to me.

> But I agree with you, that this is no charter for arbitrary changes
> without
> good reason.
>
> Removing redundancy seemed a good reason to me.
>
> > So please make sure lyx2lyx generates identical LaTeX output if you
> > insist to ditch the special char.
>
> I am in a dilemma here:
>
> a) Until now, the Menu entry and pre-configured shortcut for "text
> ellipsis"
>    use the special char. Converting the special char to ERT, will
> annoy
>    80% of the users for the sake of 1% experts with local
> redefinition.

And the other 19%? ;-)
I am always fascinated where people get such numbers from.

> My suggestion is, to change the menu and key bindings from
> "specialchar-insert ldots" to "unicode insert 2026" (…).
>
> + works with ellipsis.sty (see below),
> + no change to existing documents,
> + simpler content of the LyX file.
>
> The "ldots" special char may be deprecated and removed in some years
> (when no longer in active use). Then, converting the inset to ERT
> will
> only affect a minority.

I can live with that.

In the long term, I'd like to have proper semantic support for
ellipsis, though (e.g., csquotes' \textelp, that can be configured).
Then, the inset might again be more useful than the char.

But anyway, I have on my todo list a configurable version of the
special char inset (where classes and modules can define their own
special char insets, just like layouts and flex insets). Then people
who prefer the the ellipses special char over the unicode glyph can be
served again.

Jürgen