Hi Devel-List,

I'm not sure if this is related to Biblatex/biber also going through an
update cycle the last week or so, but I suspect it's more likely related to
Lyx (as that was just released and the errors started afterwards).

I have a fairly large, complex file that is failing on xelatex pdf preview
with the following error:

Higher-placed footnotes can't be anchored in inferior ones.
I am not putting this text in a footnote. History:
\footinsdefault  entered in line 24

! Package bigfoot Error: \footinsdefault  forbidden in \footinsdefault ..

This error is preceded by the following one:

Package polyglossia Info: Option: english variant=american.
! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
<recently read> }

l.37 of imitation.''}
                      and antagonistic to the promulgated aims of their
venu...
I've deleted a group-closing symbol because it seems to be
spurious, as in `$x}$'. But perhaps the } is legitimate and
you forgot something else, as in `\hbox{$x}'. In such cases
the way to recover is to insert both the forgotten and the
deleted material, e.g., by typing `I$}'.

Those quote marks after "imitation" are smartquotes in the editing window,
and are at the end of a footnote citation that also includes a Quotation
block in the ancient variant of Greek. Is it possible that there's some
other conflict here between polyglossia, the smartquotes, and the citation
interface? Is deleting the curly bracket from the first citation causing
the next citation to fail? Is there a different polyglossia definition I
need to define ancient Greek in the preamble?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,

Andrew Walsh