On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 02:36:49PM +0200, Guillaume MM wrote:
> Le 27/06/2017 à 23:45, Tommaso Cucinotta a écrit :
> >
> > needauth was a urgently needed mitigation of the security issues behind
> > running
> > arbitrary external tools when compiling LyX documents; a more engineered
> > remedy
> > AFAICR was actually the use of sandboxing machineries, which was
> > prototyped on
> > Ubuntu/Linux using AppArmor.
>
> This is also what I remember. The now secured converters were sweave and
> knitr, introduced in 2011 and 2012.

+1

> I see that you have also introduced a gnuplot converter with an example.
>
> + Proportionality: unsafety is actually a main feature of gnuplot from
> what I understand from http://www.yqcomputer.com/320_2475_1.htm
> + Specificity: only gnuplot is given elevated privileges, which is what
> the user wants.
> - UI problem 1: When I open the example, I immediately get the needauth
> dialog for showing the preview. I thought we only wanted unsafe
> execution when compiling the document.

I forget what we decided on this. If we don't give the dialog, then we
should just disable the preview?

> It seems to me that needauth, as it is, is not ready for the addition of
> gnuplot. What do you think?

I'm not sure. Is it less secure than Sweave/knitr? Or is your argument
that those were already there so needauth makes them safer, but we
should not add any other converter that needs needauth?

Scott