On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 10:58:44AM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:

> Thanks for this, Enrico. Let me just ask one question about it: Is the
> mechanism here per-document
> or per-document and also per-converter?

This only addresses particular converters, i.e., the latex backends.

> That is, suppose there was a
> document that contained R
> code and minted code.

Please, note that this is not specifically aimed at minted. It only
allows the latex backend to execute external commands. In case there
is R code, it doesn't need this permission and would execute whether
or not one allows shell-escape.

> Would one be warned about both or would one only
> be asked once?

If there is a needauth converter involved in a latex run, one would
be warned about it independently of whether shell-escape is allowed
or not. So, one would be warned first to allow at all the latex run
in case shell-escape is allowed, and then would be warned that there
is also a dangerous converter to be run. Both warnings can be
independently suppressed. So, even if you allowed the dangerous
converter, you will be warned about shell-escape, and vice versa.

> If the
> the latter, how hard would it be to change that?

I hope I answered your question.

> Oh, maybe another thought: Could clicking the 'warning' icon easily be
> used to disable execution?
> Just a UI thought there.

I don't know how much easily. But this is simply because of my ignorance
about Qt. It could be very easy to do that.

--
Enrico