On 1 August 2017 at 01:25, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Christian Ridderström wrote:
> > Please note that I'm _not_ wholly against something like needauth, I'm
> simply
> > not convinced it's good enough.  In fact, I'm still unclear on exactly
> how it
> > currently works, or perhaps rather, how it's intended to work in LyX 2.3.
>
> I already wrote you possible ways how we can cement the current situation
> more
> and IIRC you did not picked any.

Would you mind pointing me to that post?
I don't know if I simply missed it or was unable to read/consider/reply at
the time.

Meanwhile Tommaso committed patch which is
> slightly improving situation by "scary dialog". I did not hear your
> reaction to
> it either.

As you noticed in a later post, I did react to that.

> > > Even after all discussion I still see adding the whole needauth
> machinery
> > > as unnecessary complication of code and UI; possible future use of
> pygments
> > > still seems as made up argument for the sake of discussion rather than
> real
> > > user demand.
> >
> > Would you mind clarifying why needauth is an "unneccessary complication
> of
> > code and UI"?  (Apologies as I'm likely asking you to repeat what you've
> said
> > previously).
>
> I meant extending needauth mechanisms beyond current gnuplot/knitr usage
> for the sake of minted, because I believe minted maintainer will deliver
> us fix within couple months.

Ok, I understand what you mean.

> With such sight in view, I would be just fine to let minted support in
> current fashion, tell people clearly in manual that adding --shell-escape
> is dangerous, let Uwe scream at us little bit and then be done with it.

Ok.

Guess it comes down to the number of expected minted users. If not very
high, it's a good enough solution.
If there'd be lots of minted users, risk increase that they accidentally
leave --shell-escape in place.
/Christian