On 9/08/2017 3:35 a.m., José Abílio Matos wrote:
On Thursday, 25 May 2017 01.31.05 WEST Andrew Parsloe wrote:

(Deep breath.) I think ext_copy.py is only half of a pair of scripts.

The other half is a "dummy exporter", something like

## dummy_export.py
## a minimal script used to 'export' the
## current document and excite the LyX
## copier mechanism into action

import sys

fin = open(sys.argv[1], 'r') # $$i
fout = open(sys.argv[2], 'w') # $$o
fout.write('\n')
fin.close()
fout.close()

This code could simply be:

import shutils, sys

shutil.copy2(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2])

Thank you for the suggestion José. (I am a rank amateur Pythonist.) However, testing produced an error until I realised that "import shutils" should be "import shutil", when it worked perfectly.

To give an example of use: if I want to copy the preview logs back from
the temp directory to the document directory or a subdirectory /LOGS of
it, I define a file format LOG (preview) with extension tmp. The copier is

python -tt $$s/scripts/ext_copy.py -e log -t LOGS $$i $$o

and under converters, from LyX to LOG (preview), enter

python -tt $$s/scripts/dummy_export.py $$i $$o

"Exporting" the current document to LOG (preview) format creates a file
<filename>.tmp in the temp directory (containing a single linefeed
character); ext_copy.py then springs into action and copies the preview
logs back to the /LOGS subdirectory of the document directory. Since I
use the LaTeX runs of the preview mechanism to perform various
non-standard tasks, the logs are often of great interest.

Using these two scripts together like this provides a fairly simple
mechanism for a user to rescue or preserve files from the temp
directory. Perhaps LyX developers might include something like
dummy_export.py, the "other half" of ext_copy.py, with LyX so that this
mechanism is available "out of the box"?

Probably this should be added to trac as to not to be forgotten.

Will do.

Andrew

Andrew

Regards,