Hi,
For writing my diploma thesis, I remembered the lyx project .. and am now
using it ;-)

Maybe I'll have some time to notice usability issues or bugs and fix
them; what I've seen so far is, that lyx developed great in the last
couple of years, notably the use of STL containers makes the code more
readable.

Anyway, I just have a small note: I was curious and looked for memory
leaks using the LeakTracer by Erwin Andreasen
(<http://www.andreasen.org/LeakTracer/>) and found some small leaks where
memory is not freed on exit of the program (which is probably ok,
depending on mentality) which I fixed if evident. There are several leaks
in the formula stuff .. but that was not so obvious to fix, but if someone
wants to try it: the LeakTracer is a valuable tool for this.

If you are interested, the patch against a current lyx-devel-cvs is at

   <http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~zeller/lyx-devel/lyx-memleak.patch>

(I added some emacs/vi special comments which automatically switch on the
 correct indentation; maybe useful for all files in the project).

ciao,
 -hen