Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> It actually amazes me how few people care about including bitmaps
> graphics in their final meant-for-publication drafts. I wonder if I am
> the only one that is annoyed when I am reading a PDF and see a bitmap
> that should be a vector graphic.

My experience is that academic ppl who are not into typography or computer
science do not distinguish between bitmap and vector format. So they might even
see that the image in output pdf is somewhat blurry but the link between that
and tiff format submitted is not there.

It's just too technical and I do not blame them. Most commonly used format for
vector graphic submission -- postscript -- simply doesn't work and the output
looks different across systems. Even if you are skilled with all sorts
of technical tools it's nightmare to produce anything fancy which looks
identical once you send it to publishing folks using different vector toolchain.

Even if you understand the difference some mainstream journals will actually
urge you to do vector->bitmap conversion on your own although they will accept
eps as well.  If you are stubborn you can get it through and spend several
weeks just to get through several iterations of "fullfilling requirements",
some reasonable (fonts across platforms do not work) and some less.
Now, the alternative is simple bitmap conversion, which sorts it all in
a split of second...

Pavel