Hi,
two short remarks; I usually put these lines in every file I write

/* Emacs:
 * Local variables:
 * c-basic-offset: 8
 * End:
 * vi:set tabstop=8 shiftwidth=8 nowrap:
 */

which is understood by emacs and vim so these editors are switched to the
'correct' indentation style automatically (without 20 Mails/Thread
necessary :-)

Another: use 'diff -uw' to see see changes which are not due to
whitespaces.

ciao,
 Henner (who goes back to work on his thesis now, but every once in a
         while monitores this list; And just remembers the habit on this
         list a few years ago to close every signature with a little
         statement like this one ..)