On Monday, 8 November 2021 20.57.37 WET Pavel Sanda wrote:
> This is actually not correct way how to solve this under bullseye.
> "python" is gone for good and scripts should use either python2
> or python3 binary.
> If you insist on using "python" you should install specific package (IIRC
> "python") via: apt install python

Now that python2 is gone (the last supported versions were released last year
and no new one will be released) it is safe to use python again since it
refers to python3. :-)

For the moment that is the easiest solution. The more complete solution is the
one that Scott mentioned because we already search for python in a more
general way, Even python3 is a symlink to some python version. As an example
in my computer running Fedora 35 I have:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Oct  4 23:36 /usr/bin/python -> ./python3
$ ls -l /usr/bin/python3
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Oct  4 23:10 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.10

The previous case where python worked relied on python referring to python2.
--
José Abílio