On 12/15/23 14:46, Oliver Johns wrote:
I have been using LyX2.2 until now because a long time ago I found that upgrading to 2.3 made all my old LyX files unreadable.  But I just tried again to open a 2.2 file in 2.3.  And it worked MIRACULOUSLY!  It automagically read my ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/LyX-2.2 directory and copied it to a new LyX-2.3 folder.  And it converted the 2.2 file entirely correctly.  Some clever person(s) have done a beautiful job with this conversion.  So, THANK YOU!!

This is supposed always to work: Even LyX 1.0 files should open in LyX 2.3. They may have various bits of ERT and so forth, due to various changes, but they should always open and compile, and (with a very few exceptions) produce the same LaTeX output and so the same PDF.

It's even supposed to be possible to 'export' LyX 2.3 files back to the LyX 2.2 format and open then in LyX 2.2, so they would produce the same LaTeX output, etc. Any time it does not work, that is a bug---a serious one. So if you ever run into this problem again, please let us know.

Riki