If we have a UTF8 character in the user preamble, LyX gives a very
user-friendly warning if the document encoding is not UTF8.

However, if the same situation happens for the local layout (or in a
module), I get a SIGSEGV when compiling.

To reproduce, open the attached document and compile to PDF.

Note that the error goes away if the encoding is switched to UTF8.

I can reproduce on 2.3.x and current master.

Can anyone else reproduce?

Would it make sense to factor out the code that checks the preamble and
use this also for the local layout and included modules?

Scott