On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 11:27:21PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 11/04/2024 ?? 06:55, Yu Jin a écrit :
> >Am Mi., 10. Apr. 2024 um 23:38 Uhr schrieb Pavel Sanda:
> >
> >    On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 09:38:04PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> >     > It was under svn, not git until few weeks back when we update our
> > infra.
> >     > Now both git or trac can be used (I used trac just because the
> > conversion
> >     > patch was easier to write, but feel free to use git if you want, it's
> > the
> >     > primary source after all).
> >
> >    BTW since I inadvertedly broke windows installs (dictionary URLs need to
> >    be fixed for new releases) and accidentally found that our trac log
> >    exploded with warnings about inexisting paths - I was able to narrow
> >    down number of unique attempts to download sets of dictionaries. It
> >    gives ~50 win installs requesting at least 1 dictionary per day during
> >    last 20 days.
>
> But it was the rc4 and maybe rc3 releases, right? Not a steady trickle?

There are three three outliers - 2024-04-02; 2024-04-05; 2024-04-15
(rc4 was announced on list 2024-04-01). If you cut them out, you are in
the region of 40. Let's be conservative and take 30 attempts when not
around release.

  count day
     64 2024-03-22
     29 2024-03-23
     40 2024-03-24
     82 2024-03-25
     70 2024-03-26
     41 2024-03-27
     46 2024-03-28
     32 2024-03-29
     34 2024-03-30
     34 2024-03-31
     43 2024-04-01
     97 2024-04-02
     51 2024-04-03
     47 2024-04-04
    113 2024-04-05
     36 2024-04-06
     32 2024-04-07
     42 2024-04-08
     27 2024-04-09
     49 2024-04-10
     52 2024-04-11
     34 2024-04-12
     38 2024-04-13
     37 2024-04-14
    235 2024-04-15
     55 2024-04-16
     37 2024-04-17

The news for me is that "german, few english variants, french, spanish"
dicts are included by default. So this download ratio is for
1) win installs
2) requests dicts outside of 4 big languages above.

for 1: 2024 stat counter for OS on desktops gives 72% win, 15 % mac, 5 % linux.
OTOH I would expect that lyx use is tilted towards linux (as indicated by OS
ratio of bug reports, users on user list and contributors).
Who knows, but let's say win installs are 1/3.

for 2: can en/ge/fr/sp cover half of our users? They certainly do not cover
half by the absolute number of people, on the other hand I doubt that
Mandarin/Hindi/Bengali speakers have the same ratio of user base (I take
some indication from translation contributions, CTAN-related mirrors across
the globe and very old geospatial stats reported in our wiki (gathered 15
years back from www access)).
Who knows, but let's say non-main dicts installs are 1/2.

That kicks us somewhere in the region of 365*30*3*2=~66k installs per year...
Sure, especially the last two numbers are highly speculative, but you can
easily recalculate with your own constants ;)

Pavel