On 5/18/24 10:15, Alexander Dunlap wrote:
On Sat, May 18, 2024, at 9:52 AM, Alexander Dunlap wrote:
On Sat, May 18, 2024, at 2:30 AM, Niranjana K M wrote:
Dear LyX developers,
Thank you and congratulations for heading towards much awaited LyX-2.4.
I have been using LyX-2.4-RC1 from last 6 months and yesterday accidentally i caught this strange behavior. And I even installed recently released LyX-2.4 and the behavior persisted in this version also. But i am not facing this problem in LyX-2.3.7. The problem is, when I try to copy, by selecting and pressing Ctrl+C (or Copy from edit menu), a math block which is boxed and also having deep nested subscripts to at least 4 levels then my computer memory rapidly got consumed to the full (starting from 1GB to ~10GB) and in the end LyX closed with following message.

$ /usr/local/bin/lyx
Error: Software exception Detected
LyX has caught an exception, it will now attempt to save all unsaved documents and exit.
Exception: std::bad_alloc
Aborted

Following is the math block which caused it, (LyX code)
\begin_inset Formula
\[
\boxed{v=\left[v_{p}\right]_{a_{0}}}
\]
\end_inset

The file is also attached in the end and here is the screenshot of the math block.
Screenshot from 2024-05-18 11-43-00.png

It is a legitimate construction and it gives no problem in LyX-2.3.7 (confirmed). If either the box is removed or the subscript 0 is removed from /a/, then it has no issues in copying.

All these versions I mentioned were compiled from source on Gentoo Linux. This LyX-2.4 was compiled with the following configuration,
$ ./configure --without-included-boost
Configuration
  Host type:               x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  Special build flags:      build=release callback-printing use-hunspell use-aspell use-enchant
  Bundled libraries:        nod
  C++ Compiler:            g++ (13.2.1)
  C++ Compiler flags:       -fPIC -O2 -std=c++17
  C++ Compiler user flags:   -std=c++17  -march=native -O2 -pipe
  Linker flags:             -rdynamic
  Linker user flags:
  Qt Frontend:
      Qt version:   5.15.11
  Packaging:               posix
  LyX binary dir:          /usr/local/bin
  LyX files dir:           /usr/local/share/lyx

I loved the new features in LyX-2.4 and don't want to go back to LyX-2.3.7 due to this issue. Please help in this regard.

I can reproduce this. I investigated a little and it seems that the problem is that the "while (true)" loop in the splitAndWrapInMText function in InsetMathBox.cpp is never terminating. I believe that the reason for this is that the logic in this function is not correctly identifying the matching XHTML end tag for a given start tag, since it doesn't take into account nested tags properly.

Here is a patch that fixes the problem for me. It needs extensive checking/testing though because I do not know too much about XHTML or what all sorts of input might be seen in this function.

Thanks! This looks good to me, but Thibaut should also have a look.

I have to rebuild 2.4.0 anyway, due to some build issues on Windows, so this could be included.

Riki