On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 05:02:02PM +0200, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> The problem is that LyX tells me there is a problem more than 10 times for
> one document, 10 times the same error, with a modal window that seems to
> block further processing of the document. I can just set the PATH in LyX'
> configuration for these messages not to appear any longer, but they
> shouldn't be that present if you haven't configured LaTeX. In other words,
> my only complaint is about the number of errors that LyX shows the user, a
> single occurrence would be better.

I see, the dialog with "Don't show again" look as the most obvious solution?

> Having the size in pixels would be best! In that case, we can use the usual
> width/height attributes.
>
> I am not sure that a UI change is required for most cases: we could read

Do you propose to use UI for size in pdf output or UI for size in LyX window?

> the image size and apply the scale ratio, that's what most users will want,
> I believe (or have an HTML scale, optionally different from the LaTeX
> scale). Some people will probably want to have something specific for their
> HTML output, but that is more advanced. (If you want to do something more
> complete for DocBook, you'd need to specify the viewport and the content
> sizes: https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/imagedata. But you can also give
> different images with different size attributes for the various formats --
> Web and print, typically --, but I'm not willing to go that route, as it
> would be a complex UI and LyX isn't really a DocBook editor.)
>
> In any case, I can give a hand for the HTML/DocBook parts :)!
>
> PS. I had an epiphany when reading your message: LyX already computes a
> size for each image! I just pushed
> ce5f84ff02e04a10d345776571ae0a2439b09e8f, which is a cleaner solution when
> the user gives a scale, with no drawback AFAICT.

Indeed looks better in many cases. But some, like section 4.6.2, are
still awkward.
I see that # pixels or % scale is more or less the same, you just need
to recompute on your own. But the difference might be if in html space
something like 50% of page width is common scenario.

Pavel